More Members Of New Orleans’ Hankton Boys Drug Crew Appealing Convictions In Wake Of Reecie Hankton Court Ruling


February 15, 2022 — Encouraged by a recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling declaring that federal racketeering convictions are not to be considered violent offenses (even if one of the predicates of the racketeering count found guilty of included an act of violence) and the successful appeal by one of their co-defendants, New Orleans drug baron Telly (Wild Telly) Hankton and his top enforcer Walter (Moonie) Porter have filed appeals requesting their convictions be tossed.

Late last year, federal prosecutors in Louisiana moved to dismiss two of the three guilty-verdicts against Hankton’s first cousin and lieutenant, Andre (Reesie) Hankton. In the spring of 2008, the pair hunted down and murdered a rival Big Easy drug boss named Darnell (Durney) Stewart, who had killed Reesie Hankton’s brother, George (G-Cup) Hankton, the founder of the Hankton Boys gang out of Central City. They were convicted together in a 2016 racketeering trial for the brazen gangland slaying and each sentenced to life in prison.

But now Reecie Hankton, 44, is on the verge of walking free following two counts of his case being voided. The lone count he remains incarcerated on is a firearm offense. His attorneys believe he will be paroled by the summer. The U.S. District Court Judge in the case still has to rule on whether or not prosecutors can retry the case.

Durney Stewart and his right-hand man Jesse (Tu Tu) Reed gunned down G-Cup Hankton outside a Gert Town car wash in the days before Christmas 2007 in a beef over drug turf. After the G-Cup Hankton hit, Wild Telly Hankton, 45, assumed command of the Hankton Boys


On the evening of May 13, 2008, Wild Telly and Reesie Hankton found Stewart and engaged in a high speed chase with him before he ditched his vehicle after smashing into an industrial dumpster and took off on foot. Reesie Hankton, driving a Mustang with Wild Telly in the passenger’s seat, slammed into a fleeing Stewart, sending him flying into the air near the entrance to the parking lot of Jazz Daiquiris nightclub. Wild Telly exited the car and executed Stewart with four shots at point-blank range to the head in front of a crowd of horrified onlookers.

Tu Tu Reed died in a hale of gunfire June 20, 2009, shot more than 50 times as he stood on his porch talking to a friend. Moonie Porter was convicted in Reed’s homicide.

Wild Telly Hankton’s attorney argues in his appeal that the grand jury testimony of Hasan (Hockie) Williams shouldn’t have been shown to the jury in his trial. Williams witnessed the Tu Tu Reed murder and was murdered himself shortly thereafter.

The 46-year old Porter’s appeal hinges on the argument that the presiding judge in the case should not have allowed him to stand trial due to lack of mental competency, which should have been established with a court-ordered pre-trial neurological and mental fitness exam. The “Moonie” moniker given to Porter by his fellow gang members was in reference to his unstable nature and loose-cannon tendencies.